Genshin Impact is among the most beloved RPGs for Windows PCs (and other gaming platforms). However, many players have reported that Genshin Impact gets stuck on its loading screen. One player’s NVIDIA forum post said this, “I’ve managed to do a 1hr session; however, since then I’ve not been able to play because the game gets stuck in the loading screen (the animation of the bridge before the portal to enter the game appears)”. Here are some ways you can fix Genshin Impact stuck on the loading screen on a Windows PC.
Wait at Least 10 Minutes for Genshin Impact to Load
Many players have said they were able to fix Genshin Impact stuck on the loading screen by waiting it out for 10 to 15 minutes. So, don’t exit the game too soon when it’s stuck on the loading screen. Instead, be prepared to wait at least 10 minutes for Genshin Impact to load. If that works, the game won’t get stuck on loading again.
Verify Genshin Impact’s Files
Epic Games Launcher
- Start the Epic Games Launcher and click its Library tab.
- Press the three-dot menu button for Genshin Impact.
- Click Manage to bring up further options for the game.
- Press the Verify button to begin the scanning.
- Start your Steam software and select Library in its window.
- Right-click Genshin Impact in the games list to select Properties.
- Click Verify integrity of game files on the Local Files tab.
Set a Higher Priority for Genshin Impact
Another confirmed way to fix Genshin Impact when it’s stuck on the loading screen is to set it to run with a higher priority. This will give the game more priority by assigning more system resources to it. You can set Genshin Impact to run with a higher priority like this.
- Run the Genshin Impact game like you usually do.
- Press the Windows logo key to bring up the desktop without closing the game.
- Click any part of the taskbar with your right mouse button and select Task Manager.
- Select Task Manager’s Details tab.
- Right-click the Genshin Impact game process and select Set priority.
- Select either Above normal or High on the context menu. Never select the Realtime option.
- Exit Task Manager and return to Genshin Impact to see if the game loads.
Close Unneeded Background Tasks
Closing superfluous background tasks will free up system resources for Genshin Impact, which can sometimes resolve startup issues. Try closing background processes for third-party apps before starting Genshin Impact as follows.
- Bring up Task Manager, which has a handy Ctrl + Shift + Esc hotkey.
- Right-click any program shown under Apps on the Processes tab, and select End task. Make sure there aren’t any programs shown within the Apps section.
- Look through the Background processes section for any third-party app you can disable there, right-click on it, and select End task.
- Repeat the preceding step to disable more background apps.
- Launch Genshin Impact again to see if it loads.
Update the Graphics Driver for Your PC’s GPU
If your PC’s graphics card has an old driver, updating it could fix the Genshin Impact loading issue. This is how you can manually update a NVIDIA or AMD graphics card’s driver.
- Open the driver section of the NVIDIA or AMD website.
- Select your graphics card model and PC platform.
- Click Search or Submit.
- Press the Download button for the latest graphics driver available that’s compatible with your GPU.
- Open whatever folder includes your downloaded graphics card driver package.
- Double-click the AMD or NVIDIA driver package to open its setup wizard.
- Select to install the graphics driver within the setup window.
If you’re not sure about what graphics card your PC has, check that detail with the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To do so, press the Windows logo key + R, input dxdiag, and select OK. Click the Display tab in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to view graphics card details.
Erase Genshin Impact Registry Entries
Some Genshin Impact players have said they fixed that game getting stuck on loading by deleting three registry entries. However, I recommend you take the precaution of backing up the registry or setting a restore point before applying such a potential solution. Check out this Microsoft guide page for details about how to back up the registry. Then erase Genshin Impact’s registry entries as follows.
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo + X keys on your keyboard and select Run from the activated Power User menu.
- Input the regedit Run command and select OK to access Registry Editor.
- Next, go to this Genshin Impact registry key location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\miHoYo\Genshin Impact.
- Right-click the MIHOYOSDK_CURRENT_LANGUAGE DWORD and select Delete > Yes.
- Erase the MIHOYOSDK_LANGUAGE_FILE DWORD by right-clicking it and selecting Delete.
- Finally, erase the MIHOYSDK_LANGUAGE_VERSION registry entry by selecting its Delete context menu option.
- Exit Registry Editor and start Genshin Impact again.
Reinstall Genshin Impact
If nothing above works for you, consider reinstalling Genshin Impact to refresh the game’s files. This is how you can reinstall Genshin Impact via Epic Games Launcher and Steam.
Epic Games Launcher
- Go into the Library tab inside Epic Games Launcher.
- Click on Genshin Impact’s menu button to select Uninstall.
- Select Uninstall when asked for confirmation.
- Click on Genshin Impact inside the Library tab and select Install to reinstall the game.
- Open Steam’s Library tab.
- Right-click Genshin Impact to select Manage > Uninstall.
- Click Uninstall again to remove the game.
- Select the Install option for Genshin Impact inside your Steam game library.
The potential resolutions in this guide are tried and confirmed to work by players who’ve needed to fix Genshin Impact stuck on the loading screen. So, they’ve already fixed that issue for many players, and one could also work for you. Give them a try, but if they’re not enough you can send an email about the stuck-on-loading issue to Genshin Impact’s help service at [email protected].