I’ll have a guide out every time the Vanguard is offering double rewards! This week’s Ordeal (10/6/20-10/13/20) is “A Garden World.” Here are our guides for previous weeks:
9/15/20 – Lake of Shadows
This week only, there will be double rewards in Destiny 2‘s The Ordeal, and that means it’s time to farm those enhancement prisms and exotic gear. That means you can masterwork your Rahool mask for Festival of the Lost! Woohoo!
Here’s the skinny on this month’s 2x Ordeal on PC:
A GARDEN WORLD OVERVIEW
10/6/2020-10/13/2020 – This week’s Nightfall: The Ordeal is The Garden World. This is a bit of a tricky one (it’s definitely no Lake of Shadows). 1020 Level should be fine for running it with matchmaking, though.
At the higher levels, you’ll want to recruit some friends. This week, getting 100,000 points might be a bit tough with two friends at the 1050 difficulty. Make sure everyone is able to handle barrier and overload champions and make sure match-game isn’t a problem either (arc and void are the primary concerns). Take out the smaller mobs first, then focus fire on the champions and beefier foes.
WARNING FOR THIS NIGHTFALL – if you miss a checkpoint, make sure you go back and grab it. You may get too far into the mission to go back if you don’t, and then the enemies or boss will not spawn. The mission is broken at that point. You’ll have to start over.
NIGHTFALL: THE ORDEAL REWARDS BREAKDOWN
- 750 (Adept) – Enhancement Cores (Uncommon), Exotic Gear (Rare)
- 1020 (Hero) – Enhancement Cores (Uncommon), Exotic Gear (Uncommon), Enhancement Prisms (Rare)
- 1050 (Legend) – Exotic Gear (Common), Enhancement Prisms (Uncommon)
- 1080 (Master) – Exotic Gear (Common), Enhancement Prisms (Common), Ascendant Shards (Uncommon)
- 1100 (Grand Master) – Exotic Gear (Common), Ascendant Shards (Common)
Additionally, the unique drop for A Garden World is the Universal Wavefunction exotic ship. As always, you may complete The Ordeal with 100,000 points to earn weekly pinnacle gear. 2x rewards mean strictly that any time you are given a chance to get a reward, you are given an additional chance to earn that reward. Finishing the Ordeal once will equate to having finished it twice any other week.
BEST WEAPONS AND MODS FOR A GARDEN WORLD
This week’s Ordeal has Barrier Champions and Overload Champions. These are the mods you want to prioritize. On top of that, you’ll need to run Overload Grenade, and I also suggest Oppressive Darkness and Breach Resonator on your armor to get the most out of your grenades. Everyone should have a void subclass to run these mods.
You’ll want to prioritize Arc weapons in the energy slot when running the 1050 or higher. The team will additionally need to squeeze in some way to deal with Void shields.
BEST KINETIC WEAPONS
- The Mountaintop – Probably the best way to deal with adds AND champions. If everyone runs overload grenades from the seasonal mods, Mountaintop can be extremely viable here.
- Dire Promise – Or any other hand cannon to deal with whatever overload you need to be dealt with. Try for a 150 RPM Hand Cannon, as 110s tend to be a bit slow.
BEST ENERGY WEAPONS
Make sure you equip the appropriate mods for each weapon to deal with Overload or Barrier Champions.
- Arc Logic – The predominant shield type is arc this week, so if you can get your hands on it, run this with an anti-barrier mod. I think I would probably run it with perks Outlaw and Demolitionist.
- Gnawing Hunger – You’ll need a way to deal with shields, and everyone has a gnawing hunger. Only one person on your team should run a void weapon; the other two should likely run an arc auto rifle.
- Uriel’s Gift – If you don’t feel like picking up Arc Logic, these seem to be abundant this season.
As mentioned above, attach the appropriate seasonal mods.
BEST POWER WEAPONS
- Xenophage – A phenomenal ranged damage machine gun. This will also help you deal with the occasionally solar shield enemy.
- Black Talon – Also great for taking out bigger champions from a distance. Swords have high heavy ammo reserves for how much damage they put out.
- D.A.R.C.I. – A possible option if you are running Gnawing Hunger, you’ll be able to help get rid of those arc shields while still being able to hit the boss for high damage.
- Falling Guillotine – A great way to deal with adds, but you won’t be able to hit the boss with it.
A GARDEN WORLD STRATEGY
You’re going to have an easy enough time getting through the first part of this Nightfall. The simulation area will be rather quick. Then, you’ll hit the darker rooms. Watch out for the exploding adds. They will make your team wipe if you don’t deal with them quickly. Soon, champions will start spawning. Try to draw them into view from hallways and take them out one by one.
One of the trickiest things about this strike is the cube shield mechanic. You’ll probably want a hunter with invisibility to deal with the cubes while everyone else gets ready to Mountaintop the enemies underneath.
The fight is tough. Stick together with your team and rotate in the circle to stay opposite from the rotating boss. Two cube shields will spawn at a time. Make sure your team takes on one at a time. If you designate someone as the “cube getter,” this should go pretty smoothly. If you don’t stay on top of the adds, they will overwhelm you, and you will wipe. Try to Mountaintop them if you can, so they’re gone quickly. Also, only shoot at the boss when it is still, rather than during its rotation.
This is a longer and sweatier strike than the last double rewards. I was exhausted after one run at the 1050 level. You probably won’t like grinding this one as much as you did with Lake of Shadows. That’s okay. If you get worn out or pissed off, remember that it’s totally okay to take a break and just run some Crucible with your friends instead.