Bungie has finally revealed the 10 exotic weapons and armours coming to Destiny 2: Beyond Light. Among them is the returning and reimagined exotic pulse-rifle No Time to Explain, a pre-order bonus. The rifle can now summon a portal that fires additional projectiles from the weapon in an alternate dimension. This is just one of the exciting exotics that Guardians will have available to explore the moon of Europa with as they battle against a new untitled Fallen banner.
Another exotic is the brand new grenade launcher Salvations Grip that takes advantage of Stasis. A new element that draws its power from the Darkness, which Guardians will be able to wield in the form of new subclasses. An element that allows Guardians to freeze, shatter and slow down foes. The exotic Salvation Grip uses Stasis by firing projectiles of the element that create crystalline structures on impact freezing enemies within an icy embrace. The exotics affect combined with the new Aspects and Fragments, an additional way to customise builds come Beyond Light, could provide deadly. Especially with the Fragments revealed so far that offer buffs for defeating or freezing enemies. Such as gaining energy towards your next melee ability or gaining bonus damage.
It is clear that Bungie are creating a more rewarding and investment driven game, with ways to make a build that fits your playstyle. The exotics revealed providing enticing options and continuing the aesthetic flare the franchise has become known for with a blend of science fiction and fantasy elements in their design. Exotics that appear considerably more exciting than the ones that have been added within the season pass model this year.
Destiny 2 has always had strong and engaging gunplay driven by its weapons, especially its exotic line up. Here are the exotic weapons coming to the cherished sandbox. Details and descriptions taken from Bungie.
- No Time To Explain – Precision hits and hits against enemies affected by Stasis will return to the magazine. Stack this effect to summon a portal which will fire bullets from an alternate timeline of the weapon.
- CloudStrike – Precision final blows will generate lightning bolts at the target location. Rapid precision shots will summon an entire storm at the point of impact.
- The Lament – A mortal blade, a stalwart shield. Block with The Lament to rev the blade, then shred through shielded enemies. At its peak, damaging an enemy will heal the wielder.
- Salvations Grip – Redemption is within your grasp. Each fired projectile will create Stasis crystals that will freeze nearby targets. Charge to increase the amount of crystals created and the freeze radius.
The Lament looks to add another exotic able to counter enemy Champions in Destiny 2. A category that has been lacking since Shadowkeep introduced them. Making exotics less favourable to use in the endgame activates where they are present. Therefore, it is a great addition, and who doesn’t like the idea of a sword that functions as a futuristic chainsaw? Question is whether it will out slash the Guillotine. Another highlight is certainly the CloudStrike exotic Sniper Rifle. It is intriguing to see a sniper with the ability to defeat large groups effectively, a role not currently filled by the current line-up. Guardians will certainly have to be careful when grouping in the Crucible or Lord Shaxx might be writing poetry.
Part of being a Guardian in Destiny 2 is looking cool, as a trendy Hunter I can attest to that. Bungie has certainly created some fantastic looking exotic armour pieces for Beyond Light that importantly also provide unique and powerful perks.
- Icefall Mantle – Stand tall against the oncoming hordes with this reinforced armor that replaces the Titan’s Barricade with Overshield, absorbing damage from incoming fire.
- Precious Scars – Prove your strength, even when coming back from the brink. Upon revives, the Titan gains an Overshield aura that protects the wearer and nearby allies.
- Mask of Bakris – Don the Mask to replace the Hunter’s Dodge ability with a longer range Shift ability that also temporarily cloaks the wearer during use.
- Arthrys’s Embrace – The Hunter’s weighted knife gains a second ricochet; rapid precision hits gain a damage bonus and can temporarily stagger enemies.
- Dawn Chorus – Feel that sweet burn. The Warlock’s Daybreak projectiles deal extra damage and cause enemies to burn on contact. Gain melee energy each time a burn damages a target.
- Necrotic Grip – A deadly caress, compounded. Melee attacks corrupt enemies with increasing damage over time. Defeating a corrupted combatant spreads the corruption to nearby targets and restores melee energy.
With the Dawn Chorus exotic Warlock’s look to be getting a much needed buff to their Daybreak projectiles. Hopefully the addition will raise the Dawnblade subclass to the level of the other Warlock classes, especially in regards to the Crucible where it has not been as affective. Meanwhile the exotic Precious Scars provides more options for the Titan class to provide a support role in Destiny 2. The Overshield will definitely prove useful in sticky situations. Talking close calls, Mask of Bakris looks to improve Hunter mobility even more, the ability functioning similar to Blink; an ability I certainly look forward to using in the Crucible to confuse and evade.