In the previous days, the guide that explains anything about fishing based on PC gameplay was published. After learning how to catch fish and its mechanics, it is time to find out what you catch and how to catch specific fish that only appear in certain season, time or weather.
In Stardew valley, it is also not wrong to mention that it is possible to categorize fish in types depending on how you can obtain them. For instance, there are some various types of legendary fish. In addition to those, there are even fish types that you can only catch during the Night Market event. The YouTube channel “Sarity” also has a video that shows where to catch all these fish.
Let’s meet all types of fish in Stardew Valley!
Fish Types in Stardew Valley
Fish Caught by Fishing Rod
- Pufferfish: It inflates when threatened. It can be caught in the ocean and Ginger Island ocean. The crucial point about that fish is that it only appears between 12pm and 4pm on any season. Lastly, the weather must be sunny in order to catch this fish.
- There are several ways to use that deadly fish. You can give it to Abigail as a gift. Moreover, Specialty Fish Bundle and “Aquatic Research” quest requires this fish to be completed.
- Anchovy: This tiny fish can be caught in the oceans. There is not a specific time for its appearance as long as the season is spring or fall.
- Tuna: This large fish is also found in the oceans; however, it appears between 6am and 7pm no matter what the weather is. The significant point is that you can catch this fish during summer or winter. Nevertheless, the season does not matter if you want to catch it in the ocean of Ginger Island.
- Sardine: This one is an easy fish to catch as it is common in the oceans. No matter what the weather is, you can catch it between 6am and 7pm during spring, fall or winter.
- Bream: This night fish appears in rivers which are located in the Town and the Forest between 6pm and 2am during all seasons. Additionally, it appears at any weather.
- Largemouth Bass: This green-coloured fish can be caught in the Mountain Lake. It appears during all seasons and weather between 6am and 7pm.
- Smallmouth Bass: This fish can be found in the Town river and Forest Pond during spring or fall regardless of time and weather.
- Rainbow Trout: This fish has lots of colours on itself as you can guess from its name. You can find this one in the rivers of the Town and the Forest in addition to the Mountain Lake between 6am and 7pm during summer and sunny weather.
- Salmon: It is possible to encounter this fish between 6am and 7pm during fall and any weather. The only location in which you can catch this one is the rivers in the Town and the Forest.
- Walleye: This night and freshwater fish shows itself in the Forest Pond, Mountain Lake, the rivers in the Town and the Forest between 12pm and 2am during fall while it’s raining. Another way to catch it is that you can use Rain Totem if it is winter.
- Perch: In the Forest Pond, Mountain Lake and rivers, it is possible to catch this one during Winter regardless of time and weather.
- Carp: If you aim to catch a fish in Mountain Lake, Secret Woods Pond or the Sewers, it is most likely for you to encounter this fish because it does not matter which season, what time and weather it is.
- Catchfish: This black-coloured fish is harder to find. You can catch it in the rivers of the Town and the Forest, Secret Woods Pond or Witch’s Swamp in a rainy day between 6am and 12am. It also must be spring or fall. However, if you want to catch it in Secret Woods Pond, it must be Spring or Summer.
- Pike: On the condition that it is summer or winter, you can catch this fish in the Town or Forest rivers and Forest Pond regardless of time and weather.
- Sunfish: It is possible to catch this fish in the rivers during spring or summer. Additionally, it must be between 6am and 7pm on a sunny or windy day.
- Red Mullet: If the time is between 6am and 7pm on a summer or winter day, you can find this one in the ocean regardless of the weather condition.
- Herring: The season must be spring or winter. Then, you can catch it in the ocean.
- Eel: On a rainy day of spring or fall, it appears in the ocean. However, the time must be between 4pm and 2am.
- Octopus: You can catch this incredible fish in the ocean. Nevertheless, it must be between 6am and 1pm during summer.
- Red Snapper: The weather must be rainy on summer or fall. You can use Rain Totem during winter. Then, it is possible to catch it in the ocean between 6am and 7pm.
- Squid: You can also catch this one in the ocean. If it is winter, go for it between 6pm and 2am.
- Sea Cucumber: Visit an ocean during fall or winter in order to catch it. However, the time must be between 6am and 7pm.
- Super Cucumber: Cast a line in the ocean or Ginger Island oceans to get it, but it must be summer or fall between 6pm and 2am. In addition, if you are in Ginger Island, the seaons does not matter.
- Ghostfish: You can encounter this special one during anytime in the mine floors 20 and 60 as a Ghost drop.
- Stonefish: The location is 20F of the Mines regardless of any condition to catch this one.
- Ice Pip: This rare one appears in the 60F of the Mines. It also does not matter when and what time it is.
- Lava Eel: This lava fish appears in 100F of the Mines and Volcano Caldera.
- Sandfish: On the condition that you are in the Desert, you can catch this one between 6am and 8pm.
- Scorpion Carp: To catch this special one, you must have level 4 fishing skill. If you have, visit the Desert between 6am and 8pm.
- Flounder: If the time is between 6am and 8pm, it is possible to catch it during spring or summer in the oceans. The season does not matter in Ginger Island.
- Midnight Carp: If it is fall or winter, you can catch it in Mountain Lake, Cindersap Forest Pond or Ginger Island pond and river between 10pm and 2am.
- Sturgeon: Visit Mountain Lake between 6am and 7pm during summer or winter to catch it.
- Tiger Trout: It is possible to catch this tiger fish in the rivers of the Town and the Forest. In a fall or winter day, go for it between 6am and 7pm.
- Bullhead: It is possible to encounter this fish in Mountain Lake regardless of any condition.
- Tilapia: You can find this fish in the ocean and Ginger Island rivers between 6am and 2pm during summer and fall.
- Chub: No matter what the time is, you can catch this gray fish in the Forest river or Mountain Lake.
- Dorado: In the Forest river on a summer day, you can encounter that one between 6am and 7pm.
- Albacore: This ocean fish can be caught in fall or winter between 6am – 11am and 6pm – 2am.
- Shad: If it is a rainy day, go to the river of the Town or the Forest between 9am and 2am in order to catch it.
- Lingcod: It just has to be winter to catch this one in the rivers or Mountain Lake.
- Halibut: This fish lives in the ocean. On a spring, summer or winter day, it is possible to catch this fish between 6am – 11am or 7pm – 2am.
- Woodskip: The location is Secret Woods Pond or it is possible to find it in Forest Farm map regardless of any condition.
- Void Salmon: This mysterious creature appears in Witch’s Swamp regardless of anything.
- Slimejack: The only location to encounter this fish is Mutant Bug Lair without thinking about any other condition.
- Stingray: You must catch this cool fish in the Pirate Cove of Ginger Island no matter what the time or weather is.
- Lionfish: It does not matter which seaons it is in order to catch this wild fish in Ginger Island.
- Blue Discus: This common fish appears in the pond or river of Ginger Island.
- Midnight Squid
- Spook Fish
There are 2 specific ways to catch these special fish:
- You can basically enter the submarine ride at the event of Night Market which takes place in 15th,16th and 17th days of winter. In addition to these fish, in the submarine, it is possible to catch Sea Cucumber, Super Cucumber, Octopus, Seaweed or even Pearl.
- You can use Magic Bait and cast a fishing pole in the southwest corner of the beach regardless of any condition.
- Crimsonfish lives in the East Pier on The Beach during summer season. It does not require anything else except level 5 fishing skill.
- Angler appears on fall season no matter what the time and weather is. It appears on the wooden plank bridge which takes place in the north of JojaMart. Lastly, it requires level 3 fishing skill.
- Legend can only be caught if it is a rainy day on spring and you have level 10 fishing skill. It lives near the log in the Mountain Lake.
- Glacierfish is a winter fish which appears in south end of Arrowhead Island in Cindersap Forest. You must have level 6 fishing skill.
- Mutant Carp is the fish you can catch in the Sewers during any time and season.
(You must know that you can catch these fish only once per save file or per player in multiplayer. In the mini-game, the icon of these wears a crown. If you are doing Extended Family quest of Mr. Qi, these fish are unavailable.)
Legendary Fish II
- Son of Crimsonfish
- Ms. Angler
- Legend II
- Glacierfish Jr.
- Radioactive Carp
These fish are the different types of Legendary Fish. They live in the same location as their other versions. For instance, Son of Crimsonfish appears in the same location as Crimsonfish. However, the difference between Legendary Fish and Legendary Fish II is that the latter can only be caught while the Extended Family quest of Mr. Qi is active. Moreover, these can be caught more than once unlike the first types.
Crab Pot Creatures
- Clam (Saltwater)
- Shrimp (Saltwater)
- Cockle (Saltwater)
- Crab (Saltwater)
- Oyster (Saltwater)
- Lobster (Saltwater)
- Mussel (Saltwater)
- Crayfish (Freshwater)
- Snail (Freshwater)
- Periwinkle (Freshwater)
There are 3 different items that are not junks except various types of fish in Stardew Valley. Although these ones are not caught by mini-game, they help your experience in the game. When you encounter one of them, you instantly pick it up and that gives you 3 fishing skill XP. Lastly, they can be used while cooking.
- Green Algae
- White Algae
There are various recipes that require fish which you have learned how, when and where to catch. You can use different types of fish in Stardew Valley in order to cook some special and beneficial meals. Here’s these three recipes.
- Maki Roll
- Its recipe can be obtained for free in 21th of summer in the first year. In addition to that, you can buy its recipe for 300 golds from Stardrop Saloon.
- You can sell it for 220 golds or eat it for 100 energy and 45 health.
- Its ingredients: Any fish (1), Seaweed (1) and Rice (1)
- There is only one way to have its recipe, which is to earn 3 hearts with Linus. Afterwards, he sends the recipe to you as a gift via mail.
- You can sell it for 75 golds or eat it 75 energy and 33 health.
- Its ingredients: Any fish (1)
- Quality Fertilizer
- You have its recipe when you hit the level 9 of Farming skill. It enhances soil quality and boosts your chance to grow more quality crops.
- You can sell it for 10 golds or mix into tilled soil.
- Its ingredients: Any Fish (1), Sap (2)
Here’s the end of this guide for different types of fish in Stardew Valley. Hope you’ll catch every fish in the game!
Additionally, remember that you can visit the fish shop that Willy runs while he’s not out improving his own fishing level on the beach, that is. You can get a lot of items from the shop like an iridium rod, or a fiberglass rod, cork bobber, bamboo pole, and a long etcetera to have those fish bite!