In recent years, Netflix has been going through many different live-action adaptations from graphic novels to video games and anime. Many have failed to get the desired attention from the public but some adaptations have had huge success on the streaming platform, giving Netflix more conviction to press forward with adapting popular media.
One such future adaptation is Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender which follows the story of Aang, the new Avatar who goes on a quest to learn the four bending styles (Water, Earth, Fire, and Air) and bring harmony to four nations divided by war. Avatar: The Last Airbender contained three seasons that totalled 60 episodes when the show ended in 2008. First announced back in 2018, the upcoming live-action Netflix adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender has gone through some changes with the original creators leaving over creative differences.
Netflix has revealed 20 new cast members to round up the large cast of Avatar: The Last Airbender. They will be bringing in talent from popular shows and movies such as Prey, Community, and Star Trek. Coming from her recent hit Prey, Amber Midthunder will be playing Princess Yue, the spiritual leader of the Northern Water Tribe.
Community‘s Danny Pudi has been cast as the Mechanist who is described as “an eccentric inventor and engineer who’s doing his best to raise his son in a war-torn world.” Another big name is legendary actor George Takei who has been cast as the ancient spirit Koh, who was known in the series to steal the faces of anyone who showed emotion towards him.
Alongside these three names, here are the other members of Netflix’s Avatar: The Last Airbender cast:
- A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop, Ambulance) as Pakku
- Irene Bedard (Pocahontas, The Stand) as Yagoda
- Joel Oulette (Trickster, Ruby and the Well) as Hahn
- Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland, FBI: Most Wanted) as Chief Arnook
- Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth, Mohawk Girls) as Avatar Kuruk
- Arden Cho (Partner Track) as June
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts, World’s Best) as King Bumi
- Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter, Heartland) as Teo
- James Sie (Stillwater) as the Cabbage Merchant
- Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters, One: Thunder God’s Tale) as Ty Lee
- Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon, Little) as Mai
- Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day, Benders) as Lt. Jee
- Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon, The Man in the High Castle) as Fire Lord Sozin
- C.S. Lee (Dexter, Warrior) as Avatar Roku
- François Chau (The Expanse, American Gigolo) as The Great Sage
- Ryan Mah (The Good Doctor, Snowpiercer) as Lt. Dang
- Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda, John Wick) as the voice of Wan Shi Tong
All of these newest additions to Netflix’s large cast for Avatar: The Last Airbender, join the previously revealed cast of:
- Gordon Cormier (The Stand, Lost in Space) as Aang
- Kiawentiio (Anne with an E) as Katara
- Ian Ousley (13 Reasons Why) as Sokka
- Dallas Liu (Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) as Zuko
- Elizabeth Yu (Somewhere in Queens) as Azula
- Paul Sun-Hyung Lee (Kim’s Convenience, The Mandalorian) as Iroh
- Daniel Dae Kim (New Amsterdam, Hawaii Five-0) as Fire Lord Ozai
- Maria Zhang (WorkInProgress: A Comedy Web-Series) as Suki
- Tamlyn Tomita (Star Trek: Picard, Cobra Kai) as Yukari
- Yvonne Chapman (Kung Fu, The 100) as Avatar Kyoshi
- Casey Camp-Horinek (Reservation Dogs) as Gran Gran
The live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender currently has no release date but will be exclusive to Netflix upon release.
SOURCE: Netflix Announcement