KeenGamer Forum

Where did your gami...

Notifications
Clear all

Where did your gaming journey start?  

New Member Staff
10/06/2020 7:56 pm  

Don't just think about the first games you played but rather the ones that dug their claws in and pulled you into this mad world of gaming. The games that had you gitty to get home from school and excited to wake up on a Saturday morning. The games that had you play "just 5 more minutes" only to see the sun come up a while later. You know which games I'm talking about, we all have a list.

My genesis was Super Mario Bros 2 on SNES. The time when you only got a new game on your birthday and maybe Christmas, I had Mario to keep me company for many months at a time. I had a Sega Megadrive but nothing I played there resonated with me in the same way. Then we got our first PC and we borrowed Command and Conquer: Red Alert from my uncle. I knew then that I would always love strategy games, and I still do. 

There are many other games that had a profound impact on my life, but those 2 were my first great loves.

Karel Vik
Active Member Admin
11/06/2020 2:39 pm  

Well, I started on Didactic Gama and similar games, playing Scorched Earth. Then moved to Commodore 64, playing Giana Sisters and a lot of others. But of course, PC x286 was the milestone. Dungeon Muster, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder 1 to 3, tons of adventures, RPGs, semi RPGs, UFO and similar strategies, just hard to remember what was the best. Everything was best at that time 🙂

ReplyQuote
Luis Cano
Active Member Staff
12/06/2020 2:31 am  

The first game that I remember binging is Conker's Bad Fur Day. That must have been the first on a long list of games that I would pull all-nighters for. 

ReplyQuote
Active Member Staff
13/06/2020 10:04 am  

I played loads of simple computer games as a kid like Poptropica and Plants vs Zombies. But it was when I got a PSP that my obsession really kicked in. God of War: Ghost of Sparta was a pivotal game for me, as was Twilight Princess as it showed me how grand videogames could feel. Phantasy Star IV was my gateway drug to JRPGs and retro games - two facets of gaming that I still adore. And Shadow of the Colossus was the first game that really proved to me the artistic value of the medium.

ReplyQuote
Active Member Staff
14/06/2020 12:45 am  

I remember my father bringing home a PS1 with Crash Bandicoot, Klonoa and a Star Wars game (not sure which one). This was the late 90s and I was really young, but I picked up the gist of gaming pretty quickly. My first real gaming obsession was GTA 3. I had never seen anything like it! My lifelong fascination with open-world gaming and its boundless potential started with and was moulded by the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank also had a lasting impact on my early gaming years. Great memories.     

ReplyQuote
New Member Staff
16/06/2020 6:16 pm  

My nan owned a PS1 console when I was a kid, so my first experiences of games was when we went to her house and me and my sister played through 40 Winks together. I'm dying for a remaster of it in some form... When my family finally let me play videogames myself, it was all about Zoo Tycoon and The Sims, baby! 😎 

ReplyQuote
Dakota Gordon
19/06/2020 3:38 am  

The thing with my childhood is that it was never just one or two games. When I grew up with the SNES, N64, and Gamecube (I was almost exclusively Nintendo), I had such a vast variety of games that I adored. Basically, I grew up on Nintendo and I consumed Nintendo for a substantial amount of my life. Most of their franchises have a special place in my heart.

ReplyQuote
Luis Cano
Active Member Staff
19/06/2020 4:36 am  

@dakota-gordon I knew instantly that this response had to be Dakota's when I saw it without the name haha

ReplyQuote
Dakota Gordon
19/06/2020 5:30 am  

@luis-cano

Nice to know I have made my allegiances fully apparent in my time here. 😘 

Luis Cano liked
ReplyQuote
New Member Staff
20/06/2020 2:14 am  

The first of mine were Sonic the Hedgehog and Afterburner on the Sega Genesis. After that, Crash Bandicoot on the PS1. Without a doubt, however, the game that got me addicted to gaming forever was the dark, grindy hole of Runescape.

I still visit that old account sometimes...

Luis Cano liked
ReplyQuote
New Member Staff
21/06/2020 1:20 pm  

Hey, it was a NES game back in the '80s for me. Can't quite remember what one though.  

ReplyQuote
Anyka Pettigrew
Active Member Staff
25/06/2020 8:56 pm  

I must have been around 6 or 7 years old when I got my first gaming console, the Nintendo DS. I eventually broke that and got the Lite, which was barely different, but that was my first gaming experience. I can't remember the first game I ever played, but I liked silly stuff like Brain Age, Charlotte's Web (surprisingly good platformer) and Cooking Mama. Then at 8 or 9 I got the new Wii and Animal Crossing City Folk, which is the first game I remember falling in love with.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.