Play! Pokémon announced the new rules for Ranked Battles and Video Game Championship Series 10. The Series 10 rules will take effect in August of 2021, and continue indefinitely.
- Players may use 1 of the 24 restricted legendary Pokémon on their teams
- Mythical Pokémon are not permitted
- All other Pokémon from the Galar Pokédex, the Isle of Armor Pokédex and the Crown Tundra Pokédex are permitted
- Only Pokémon obtained in Pokémon Sword and Shield, or who have the battle-ready icon, are permitted
- Pokémon are not permitted to Dynamax
- All Pokémon will be set to level 50, including those below level 50.
- Duplicate Pokémon are not allowed
- Duplicate items are not allowed
From Series 9, there are 2 major changes to the rules. Firstly, the entire Dynamax mechanic has been banned. Pokémon and strategies that rely on Dynamax or Ginatamax will find themselves suddenly unseated from their former glory. Series 10 will be the first Pokémon Sword and Shield Ranked Battle Series to ban Dynamax entirely, which is sure to bring about an interesting new meta.
In addition, all players will be allowed to use 1 of 24 different restricted legendary Pokémon. This list includes Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo. Lunaala, Necrozma, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus and Calyrex