The community team responsible for the upcoming Left 4 Dead 2 expansion: The Last Stand has announced that the update will get a release on September 24th, for free. The announcement came in the form of a beautiful reveal video paired with a change log sure to bring a smile to the face of many, many fans. Developed by enthusiastic members of the game’s modding community in partnership with Valve, this expansion is the clear product of a deep love of the game (and eleven months of work).
The Community Update Team also shared a change log with everything that is new and improved in The Last Stand:
- The Last Stand campaign – The survivors decide to take an alternate path in hopes of salvation, but is this path truly safe?
- 30 brand new achievements – New and unique milestones to strive for!
- 26 new survival maps – How long can you survive against the endless hordes?
- Four new scavenge maps – Wait, people still play scavenge?
- Two brand new melee weapons – Hunt down a Jockey with the pitchfork or whack it with the shovel. Satisfaction guaranteed!
- L4D1 infected – The L4D1 infected are back, and they’re bloodier than ever!
- New and previously unused voice lines for survivors – Rochelle has a personality now!
- New character animations – New, improved and overhauled animations by our skilled modding team!
- Reworked gun models and animations – The guns now behave more like real guns!
- PvP enhancements and balance changes – New attack spots, new tank spawns, and hundreds of new infected ladders for the competitive modes!
- Official implementation of CSS weapons – The CSS weapons are now available to everyone!
- Brand new mutations Rocket dude and Tank run – Ever wanted to launch yourself around with a grenade launcher, or run away from hordes of tanks? We’ve got you covered.
- Improved UI options – Single player option for more game modes, Versus Survival is officially brought to the main menu, easier game mode switching, and new outro stats!
- Hundreds of bug and exploit fixes – The days of falling through elevators are gone!
In addition to the insane amount of new content, Left 4 Dead 2 will also have a free weekend on Steam when the expansion is released. With such a low bar for entry and a good amount of new, fresh content, it looks like there is plenty of reason for new and old players to check out Left 4 Dead 2: The Last Stand when it is released as a free update on September 24th.