Insomniac Games are celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the iconic Ratchet & Clank and have shared a few surprise announcements about the series.
The Official PlayStation Blog has posted a new article titled ‘Celebrating 20 Years of Ratchet & Clank’. In it, Aaron Jason Espinoza from Insomniac Games shares some new announcements and interviews based around the 20th Anniversary. This includes new interviews, concept art and more from those who worked on the legendary platformer over the years. This post included 2 new announcements that are sure to have long-time fans excited.
The first is that everybody who owns Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, the critically acclaimed PS5 title, will receive a free Armour Pack DLC. This includes new cosmetics for Ratchet and Rivet based on previous games in the series. These armour sets include:
- Commando Armour inspired by Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, the second mainline Ratchet & Clank game.
- Holoflux Armour inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, the finale to the future trilogy of games on PlayStation 3.
- Quest Armour inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty, the interlude used to bridge the gap between Tools of Destruction and a Crack in Time.
- Marauder Armour was inspired by Ratchet: Deadlocked, the more shooter-driven spin-off released on PlayStation 2.
- Finally, a set of Clank Armour to ‘celebrate the greatest of pals’.
Players who own Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart can get this free Armour Pack at no additional cost starting today, the 4th of November 2022, after updating to Version 1.004.
That wasn’t all. It was also confirmed that several more Ratchet & Clank legacy titles will be making their way onto the PlayStation Plus Classics lineup. These games are available to PS Plus subscribers on the Premium Tier. Currently, there are already a number of Ratchet & Clank titles available on the service including A Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus, All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. On November 15th, 5 new games from the series will be joining the lineup:
- Ratchet & Clank (PS3).
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3).
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3).
- Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3).
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3).
Alongside these announcements, there are stories and interviews with some members of Insomniac Games. This includes the likes of Ted Price, President of Insomniac Games. He happily reminisces about working on the very first Ratchet & Clank game back on the PlayStation 2.
“I remember a bunch of us crowded around an old CRT TV watching our first test cinematic. It was the ad for Al’s Roboshack where Captain Qwark (voiced by the great Jim Ward) states in his typically snarky tone “There’s nothing worse than staring down a Blargian Snagglebest…from the inside”. Even though I knew the script by heart, after watching the scene I laughed out loud. The lines, the delivery, the animation, the subtle social commentary – everything fit. To me, that ended up being the scene that set the comedic tone for the entire franchise.”
Ted Price, President of Insomniac Games
Insomniac also shared new pieces of concept art for the Ratchet & Clank 20th Anniversary. This includes new looks and interviews about the game’s characters, weapons and environments. If you have any affinity for Ratchet & Clank as a series, you owe it to yourself to read through and see the love the team has for this world.