FIFA 2023 is one of the biggest soccer (or football) game titles. However, many players have reported they can’t play FIFA 2023 because of an error message that says, “The application encountered an unrecoverable error.” This issue arises on Windows 11/10 PCs for some players when they try to start that game. These are some of the best ways to fix the FIFA 2023 “application encountered an unrecoverable error” issue on Windows PCs.
Run FIFA 2023 and Your Gaming Client With Admin Rights
First, try applying simpler potential fixes like running FIFA 2023 and your gaming client software with administrative rights. You can set the FIFA 2023 and gaming client software to always run with elevated user permissions like this.
- Right-click your FIFA 2023 desktop shortcut to select Properties.
- Select Compatibility in the window’s tab bar.
- Click the Run this program as an administrator option to set FIFA 2023 to start with elevated privileges.
- Select Apply > OK to save the newly configured launch options.
- Repeat the above steps to set admin rights for the gaming client shortcut (Steam or EA App) on your desktop.
- Then try starting FIFA 2023.
If your Windows desktop doesn’t include shortcuts for FIFA 2023 or your gaming client, add new shortcuts for them to the desktop. Or set the application EXE application files for starting FIFA 2023 and your gaming client to run with admin rights from their installation.
A variation of this potential solution that’s worked for some players is to separately run the gaming client software and FIFA 2023 as an administrator from the right-click menu. To do so, right-click your gaming client shortcut and select Run as administrator on the context menu. Then right-click a FIFA 2023 desktop shortcut to select Run as administrator immediately after starting the gaming client.
Install Certificate for EA AntiCheat
Installing a digital certificate is a widely confirmed fix for the FIFA 2023 “application encountered an unrecoverable error” issue. Install the Electronic Arts digital signature for FIFA 2023 like this.
- Press the Windows logo button + E to view an Explorer window and navigate to this folder location: C:\Program Files\EA\AC
- Right-click the EAAntiCheat.Installer.exe file and select Properties.
- Select the Digital Signatures tab.
- Click the Electronic Arts signature to select it.
- Press the Details button.
- Click the View Certification option.
- Press the Install Certificate button.
- Select the Current user option and click Next.
- Click Next > Finish to install the certificate.
- Select the OK options to close open windows after installing the certificate.
Reinstall EA AntiCheat Setup
It has been confirmed that reinstalling the EA AntiCheat Setup software also often fixes the FIFA 2023 “application encountered an unrecoverable error” issue. Doing so will likely resolve issues with EA AntiCheat. This is how you can reinstall the EA AntiCheat Setup software.
- Open the AC folder at the path specified in the previous resolution.
- Double-click EAAntiCheat.Installer to open an EA AntiCheat Setup window.
- Select FIFA 2023 on the drop-down menu.
- Press the Uninstall button.
- Exit the EA AntiCheat Setup window after uninstalling.
- Click the Download the EA anticheat installer link on this EA webpage.
- Open whatever folder contains the downloaded EA AntiCheat software installer file.
- Double-click the newly downloaded EAAntiCheat.Installer.exe file to open its window.
- Click on the drop-down menu to select FIFA 2023.
- Press the Install button to reinstall EA AntiCheat.
Enable Secure Boot
Some players have said they were able to fix the FIFA 2023 “application encountered an unrecoverable error” issue by enabling a Secure Boot option. That feature needs to be enabled for EA AntiCheat to work with FIFA 2023.
You’ll need to enter your PC’s BIOS to enable secure boot. How you can the BIOS varies on different PC models, but you can usually do so by pressing a certain keyboard key at startup. I recommend that you look for more specific details about how to enter your PC’s BIOS within its online or offline instruction guides.
When you’ve entered BIOS settings, select an Advanced tab (or something similar). Look for and enable a Secure Boot setting there. Here are some more specific guidelines for enabling Secure Boot for different Windows PC models on manufacturer websites:
- Enable secure boot on Acer PCs.
- Enable secure boot on Dell PCs.
- Enable secure boot on HP PCs.
- Enable secure boot on Lenovo PCs.
- Enable secure boot on Razer PCs.
Uninstall or Disable MacType
MacType is font configuration software for Windows some users have confirmed conflicts with FIFA 2023, causing the “unrecoverable error” issue. Do you have MacType installed on your PC? If so, uninstall that software as follows to ensure it can’t conflict with FIFA 2023.
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo + R keyboard buttons and input appwiz.cpl inside Run.
- Click OK to access the Programs and Features applet for uninstalling software.
- Select MacType in Programs and Features.
- Click Uninstall to remove MacType from your PC.
Verify (Repair) FIFA 2023’s Files
- Start the EA gaming client and select its Library tab.
- Click on the FIFA 2023 game.
- Press the Manage button.
- Click the Repair option.
- Run Steam to select Library in that gaming client.
- Click FIFA 2023 in the Library tab within your right mouse button to select Properties.
- Select Local Files to reach the verification option.
- Press the Verify integrity of game files button.
The FIFA 2023 “application encountered an unrecoverable error” issue is one of the most widely reported bugs for that game, which many players have fixed by applying the resolutions above. The second and third EA AntiCheat software resolutions are especially widely confirmed. So, try applying those possible fixes before contacting the EA support service about fixing the “unrecoverable error” bug from this EA Help page.