Baldur’s Gate 3 is one of the hottest RPGs of 2023. So, it’s a little unfortunate some players are reporting they’re having issues saving games in Baldur’s Gate 3. The most widely reported game save error message says, “Can’t save right now: Game is currently syncing.” Players can’t save their Baldur’s 3 Gate games when that error occurs. These are some ways you can fix the Baldur’s Gate 3 “Can’t save right now” error on Windows 11/10 PCs.
Disable Cross Sync
Disabling cross-sync is an easy potential fix for the Baldur’s Gate 3 “Can’t save right now” error to apply that’s confirmed to work by some players. This is how you can disable cross-sync in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Start the Baldur’s Gate 3 game.
- Select Options on the in-game menu.
- Click the Gameplay tab.
- Uncheck the Cross Save checkbox to deselect that option.
- Click Back > Quit the game and restart Baldur’s Gate 3.
Disable Steam Cloud
Try disabling Steam Cloud to prevent potential cloud-save conflicts. Many players say they’ve fixed Baldur’s Gate 3 “Can’t save right now” error by turning off that cloud save feature. This is how you can disable Steam Cloud.
- Start Steam to go into the Library tab within that software.
- Right-click on the Baldur’s Gate 3 game inside the Library tab and select Properties.
- Turn off the Keep games saves in the Steam Cloud for Baldur’s Gate 3 option within the General tab.
Erase the Baldur’s Gate 3 Data Folder
Deleting the Baldur’s Gate 3 data folder has also worked for some players who’ve needed to fix the “Can’t save right now” error. However, some players have combined this potential resolution with the previous one by disabling Steam Cloud and erasing the Baldur’s Gate 3 folder before launching the game. You can erase the Baldur’s Gate 3 data folder like this.
- Activate File Explorer by clicking on its taskbar shortcut (library folder icon).
- Open the Larian Studios folder at this location: C:\Users\<user folder name>\appdata\local\Larian Studios.
- Right-click Baldur’s Gate 3 folder to select the Delete context menu option.
Note that erasing the Baldur’s Gate 3 folder deletes saved game progress. So, consider trying other potential fixes for this issue like disabling cross-sync and verifying the integrity of game files first.
Verify the Integrity of Baldur’s Gate 3
- Bring up the Steam window and click on its Library tab.
- Click Baldur’s Gate 3 in the left side panel with the right mouse button to select a Properties option for that game.
- Select Installed Files on the left side of the window.
- Click on the Verify integrity of game files option to repair Baldur’s Gate 3 files.
Turn Off Microsoft Defender Firewall (or Other Firewalls)
- Bring up the tool for finding files in Windows by clicking on the Type here to search taskbar button or search box.
- Type in a firewall keyword and select Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall inside the search results shown.
- Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to bring up options for disabling the firewall.
- Click on both Turn off Windows Defender Firewall network settings.
- Select OK to exit the Customize Settings window, close the Control Panel, and restart your PC.
- Try saving in Baldur’s Gate 3 with the firewall off.
If you’ve installed an alternative third-party firewall for Windows 11/10, select to temporarily turn it off. Also, disable firewall components in third-party antivirus apps.
Add Baldur’s Gate 3 to Antivirus Exclusion Lists
Third-party antivirus protection can also cause game-saving issues to occur for Baldur’s Gate 3 and other titles by blocking access to folders and files. Microsoft Defender is the pre-installed Windows 11/10 antivirus utility. Add Baldur’s Gate 3 to Microsoft Defender’s trusted app list like this.
- Double-click Windows Security (the shield icon) inside the system tray by the taskbar clock.
- Click Virus & threat protection and the Manage settings navigation option on that tab.
- Select the Add or remove exclusions navigation option.
- Press + Add an exclusion button and select the Folder option on the menu.
- Select to add the installation folder that includes the Baldur’s Gate 3 EXE file for running the game to the exceptions list.
- Also, add this directory to the exclusion list: C:\Users\<user name folder>\appdata\local\Larian Studios.
Users with third-party antivirus tools like AVG or BitDefender will need to add those folders to the exceptions lists in their alternative security apps. You can find instructions for adding exceptions to third-party antivirus tools’ exceptions lists on their publisher websites.
Other Possible Fixes for the Baldur’s Gate 3 Not Saving
Those are the more widely confirmed ways to resolve the Baldur’s Gate 3 “Can’t save right now” error, but there are other resolutions you can try. Try applying these potential fixes if Baldur’s Gate 3 still doesn’t save:
- Run Steam and Baldur’s Gate 3 with admin rights.
- Reinstall the Baldur’s Gate 3 game.
- Disable background third-party software packages and services from the Windows startup with Task Manager and System Configuration.
- Delete all the files in the LevelCache folder at this location C:\Users\<user folder name>\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur’s Gate 3\LevelCache.
- Remove (erase) Baldur’s Gate 3 mods.
The Baldur’s Gate 3 “Can’t save right now” error is among the worst bugs that have been reported for that game since its release. Fortunately, the resolutions above will likely resolve that gaming-saving error and similar issues for most Baldur’s Gate 3 players. However, you can also get in touch with the Larian Studios help service at [email protected] or this contact page if further potential resolutions for fixing Baldur’s Gate 3 not saving are needed.