It's been almost a year since Pokémon GO took the world by storm,… but since then the world has gotten a little bored of the mobile app. In efforts to breathe new life into game, developer Niantic will be releasing the biggest Pokémon GO update yet, bringing a new gym battling system and items.
As of today, trainers can experience the following-
- Gym features significantly updated to add the all-new motivation system.
- Added new Gym Badge feature.
- Added in-app and push notification system for Gyms.
- Added Raid Battles, a new cooperative gameplay experience.
- Added four new items available only by completing Raid Battles.
- Added Raids tab to Nearby screen.
- Added search functionality to Pokémon collection screen.
- Added visual indicator to unvisited PokéStops.
Gyms will now also function as Pokéstops, allowing players to spin a disc to collect items. Gyms will no longer be prestige based but instead will feature six unique spots for its team's Pokémon. This means, for example, that only one Snorlax can be assigned to a gym at a time. Rather than prestige points each Pokémon in a gym will have a motivation meter which will be lowered the more they lose in battle, as a Pokémon loses motivation, its CP also decreases. However, you can increase a Pokémon's motivation level by feeding it berries to help secure it's place in a gym.
A new "Raid Battle" has also been implemented at gyms. This will allow multiple players to come together to defeat a boss. Before you can battle in a raid, you will need a pass which can be obtained for free by visiting a gym (one per day). Subsequently, trainers can purchase "Premium" raid passes from the in-game shop. Defeating the raid boss will give you the opportunity to catch a powerful Pokémon and new items such as rare candies, golden razz berries as well as fast and charged Technical Machines.
What do you think about the new Pokémon Go features? Is the app officially dead or does this update give it a fighting chance? Let us know in the comments!