Knights of the Old Republic is over 10 years old and many users have problems playing the game on newer systems. The issues include crashing after the character creation menu and the game freezing when leaving certain planets. This guide will inform you on how to fix Knights of the Old Republic for newer operating systems such as Windows 8 and Windows 10.
1) Run the game in compatibility mode
Running a game in compatibility mode is the first thing that you should try when an old game doesn’t work on newer operating systems.
- Right click on the games shortcut or .exe file and press on properties.
- Go to the compatibility tab and run the game in compatibility mode for an older version of windows such as windows XP.
- Apply the setting then press ok.
2) Disable unsupported graphics settings
This game has some old graphics settings that don’t work on newer systems. You should disable Soft Shadows and Frame Buffer Effects.
- Go to the graphics settings in the options menu.
- Go to the advanced graphics options.
- Make sure that Soft Shadows and Frame Buffer Effects are unchecked.
The first two solutions should of fixed the issue (they did for me) but if they don’t then many players have reported online that this final fix for Knights of the Old Republic often works.
3) Run the game in windowed mode
In order to run the game in windowed mode read this tutorial by Steam. This should fix the issue if the first two fixes failed.
We hope you enjoy the game! And for what we thought of Knights of the Old Republic, be sure to check out our review.