Cradle of Links is a new VR title in development of the HTC Vive. You can view the first teaser for the game below:
Here is a summary of the game from the developers:
The action of the game will transfer you to Great Britain, in 1860, to the hunting grounds in a small town. For about twelve months ago here the unknown infection began to extend, destroying promptly population of the city. The majority of inhabitants painfully perished, having immortalized forever the old streets with their disfigured bodies as if monuments to a celebration of plague. Boundaries of the city became a quarantine zone, nobody dared to get to their limits. The dense fog and packs of wild animals were an additional barrier to rare fools, and awful monsters who were tearing apart and devouring everything live that they will meet on their way started to inhabit houses and streets.
From that summary, the game sounds fun and interesting to play. The developers also wrote what features the game would have:
- Complete freedom of relocation in the world of the VR game. The smooth movement, with different speed and in any direction.
- Realistic firearms – the revolver of the masters Bennet and Cole. The speed of aiming and recharge, accuracy of firing and resetting after return. It is what you will feel by means of your controllers. Everything depends only on how precise and quickly you are.
- An opportunity to transfer your own consciousness into the bodies of the earlier infected and perished residents who became a membrane. Control them and use their resources for survival and achievement of the purposes.
- Battle against nine unique opponents from the powerful hominids to the speedy and poisonous insektoids and other servants of the Roy’s Mind.
- Solve problems and look for the hidden passages and a lot more by using interactive elements, such as: torches, gearwheels, parts of mechanisms or chemical reagents and a lot more.
This is where the game starts sounding ambitious. The game promises to have complete freedom of movement, something that little to no VR titles have. You can walk in any direction and control the speed of your movement all in VR. This is a big promise to make for an Indie studio.
The list also states that the game has realistic firearms. After watching the trailer, the gun system also seems ambitious. While walking, you can turn up and down in a 360 degrees angle and move your gun anywhere on the screen. It looks like enemies can surprise attack you from any angle and it takes skill and quick reflexes to take out the monster before it gets you using the gun like you could in real life. You can also hold a gun in one hand while yielding a melee weapon in the other.
The game also looks to be very interactive. The list states that you can interact wits lots of elements in the game world (e.g. torches and parts of mechanisms) to solve puzzles and find hidden passages. This interactive element of the game will work well with the complete freedom of movement to allow you to search the village and feel immersed in the game. You can also take over the bodies of infected to help you survive or solve puzzles. This has been explored in games before but never on this level in a VR game.
The developers also said that the game will have a good story with an unexpected ending. This would help keep the player hooked to the game.
From everything that I have seen on this game, it seems to be the most ambitious and immersive VR title to date and one of the first to allow this amount of free movement and interaction with the game world. I will follow the development of the game closely and hopefully the scope of the game isn't too much for an indie studio.
Do you think that Cradle of Links looks good and ambitious? Feel free to let us know down in the comments.