was founded in Kiev (Ukraine) in spring of 2014 by Alex Sytianov, who is well known as the lead game designer of shooter games “S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl” and “Survarium”.
After years of work in big game studios Alex decided to go indie and to dedicate all his talent and creativity to a project he was dreaming of for a really long time.
1. Upon the start of Early Acces, Sketch Tales is in development for 16 months. However, first prototypes of the game were created in late 2013, and the concept had been hatched by Alex for almost 10 years.
2. Among working Titels for Sketch Tales there were:, Artventure, All will dye, PlaToon, Paint Quest, Brush Knights, Max Paint, Paintkiller, Contour-Stroke & Call of Color.
3. In order to remain an independent developer and to furnd the initinal development of Sketch Tales, Alex sold his appartment. So yes, basiccaly the game’s been developing by a homeless.
4. 8D’s VFX generalist and animator Pauls Osadchiy learned animation from school textbooks. From almost all of them. He was practising animation, manually drawing frame by frame on the textbook margins and became a nightmare for libriary workers.
5. Alex is the highest person in the studio – he’s 191 cm high. However, everyone calls him ‘your highness’ because of another reason: he’s a CEO.
6. Sketch Tales’ composer & sound producer Alexander Filonenko can play dozens of instruments, including African Nose Flute.
7. There are 8 workers and contributors in 8D Studio. But this is not where the studio name came from – actually, the ammount of people who are full-time developing Sketch Tales is 3.
8. 8D means multidimensionality, thinking outside the box, creating games that provide unforgettable experiences and also it’s an emoji.